Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A fireman hat on a Budhha statue

I just read this in twitter:
In the Palo Alto XXXX offices we have a huge happy Buddha with a fireman hat on. I don't know what to make of it, but it makes me smile!


So one of the worst things you can do in Buddhist countries is to touch people on their heads, especially children. But an absolut No No is to put a hat or anything else on a Buddha statue. The is an affront to all Buddhists. Its like to put a hat on a Jesus Christ statue.

It seems that still people think Buddha statues are for decoration, to give them an Asian ambience. Actually, its not - like the Jesus Christ figure. You may claim yourself an atheist, but even then, it's a matter of respect others religion.

1 comment:

Craig S. Williamson said...

I agree. For me it's mostly about offending people, and offending people is not a good thing, in my view. The children's head thing has an exception, I've discovered. Teachers and parents are allowed to touch the children's heads.